Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

On 8/11/19 12:01 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>   restart|force-reload)
>         log_daemon_msg "Restarting $DESC"
>         do_stop
>         sleep 1
>         do_start
>         log_end_msg $?
>         ;;
>
> Yes, this particular case might fail on a pathologically loaded box or with a
> very slow chip, but I don't know of a way to ask firmware if something is
> still winding down, thus what we ship is probably still sanest.

yes, for firmware this makes sense, but I've also seen various sysv
scripts where people tried to guess the time a service needs to
shutdown, so some random sleep was added instead of handling it in a
sane way. This issues are luckily fixed forever with systemd - it just
knows, whats going on.