Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

Hi.

I'm one of the people who has found systemd hugely valuable in server
environments.

Things I've found valuable include:

* Avoiding imperative languages for configuration

* Better configuration of security isolation

* Better restart semantics and monitoring of services/ways to configure
  restart.  I was one of the people who did use inittab to try and
  restart services, found it wanting, and generally found that I had
  inadequate tools for handling service restart.  In some cases, I used
  third party tools; in some cases, I accepted the decrease in
  reliability

* Better separation of configuration especially for cloud and container
  images.  Fragments are helpful, as are things like conditios

* Tools like path-based units which can be incredibly helpful in
  scripting security isolation and putting together simple queues

* Better log filtering and querying through the journal

I'll admit that I do use complex dependencies more on desktop or
appliance machines than I do on servers.  However, I find systemd makes
me much happier as a sysadmin than any tool I've used before.

--Sam