Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

On 2019-08-08 14:43, Holger Levsen wrote:
On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 02:35:13PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
And there’s the problem.  If we keep with sysvinit as a baseline of
features provided by the init, we end up with just every init script
having something like this: [...]

it seems several people in this thread have missed the fact, that
sysvinit in Debian is maintained well again, eg there have been 17
uploads of it so far in 2019, see
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sysvinit/news/

(so I think the above fixes could all be made in one central place.)

As a lot of the conflict between sysvinit and systemd was about the philosophy. So then the question boils down to what kind of feature development sysvinit *in Debian* is willing to do to do that. If the answer is "we really want the shell scripts as they have been since the beginning of time - and that is the scope of sysvinit" (which would not be true either, I know), then we cannot have that discussion either.

That's also to some degree why I think a solution to this problem is for the init diversity folks to figure out and we should not block on that. And that seems fine given the scope they have set for themselves.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern