Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

 ❦ 11 août 2019 10:27 +02, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de>:

>>* Better restart semantics and monitoring of services/ways to configure
>>  restart.
>
> We have, however, failed to make use of that. "systemctl restart" is
> nearly useless in Debian because a non-negligible part of our daemon
> packages make systemd think the daemon is running while it is actually
> not, and systemd does for some reason not to anything in this case.
>
> I have watched myself involuntarily changing to a systemctl stop;
> systemctl start scheme, because this has a way higher chance of doing
> what I want. I haven't dug in deeply in this matter though.

systemd cannot guess if a SysV init script should leave a daemon behind
or not. Therefore, they are converted as "Type=forking", "Restart=no"
"GuessMainPID=no" and "RemainAfterExit=yes". So, when a daemon stops
unexpectedly, it is not restarted and "restart" doesn't work because the
unit is still active.
--
Tell the truth or trump--but get the trick.