Re: Salsa.d.o: Please support the implementation request for a global config option to change the default for "Custom CI config path" in Gitlab

Hi,

On Thu, 01 Aug 2019, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> >Questions to be answered:
> >- Is the setting only a default applied to new projects?
> >- If yes, how do you inform users that a new project with
> >  /.gitlab-ci.yml will not work?
> >- If no, how do you inform users that an existing project with
> >  /.gitlab-ci.yml will stop working?
>
> I don't like any of these questions, I would prefer not having to answer to them.

The first question seems a legitimate question in order to evaluate the
impact. I guess however that the setting is a default applied to all
(existing) projects that have not overridden the setting.

IOW, changing the value will break legitimate users of .gitlab-ci.yml.
I am such a user for the "distro-tracker" and "debian-handbook"
repositories. And I will have to reconfigure my projects, but I also agree
with the request expressed here. It is much more painful to have
to reconfigure this for all the other packaging repositories that
we regularly create...

To the second question I would say that it's enough to document it
in the wiki where all other salsa-specific documentation is.

To the third question, I would say that an email to debian-devel-announce
ought be enough.

> Having a salsa global default different from the gitlab one is just
> surprising indeed, would "patch in" a solution for a quite specific case
> (plain debian package with default salsa-ci.yml) and would still leave
> diverging settings dead in the water at first clone.
>
> I did not follow most closely this thread, is setting cloning being explored already?

Filed upstream already:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/48180
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/64805

Cheers,