Re: Salsa.d.o: Please support the implementation request for a global config option to change the default for "Custom CI config path" in Gitlab

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 08:21:31PM +0200, Inaki Malerba wrote:
> On 27/7/19 09:40, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > The setting is per project, so it is available.  For now I say that
> > changing this globally is too disruptive.
> Of course it's a disruptive change, but what is the purpose of Salsa?

It is a project management platform.

> I think it's a tool *for* Debian and Debian Developers. Most of the
> users surely will prefer that the default path for the CI configuration
> on Debian projects is a Debian compatible path. Maybe we could open a
> thread to discuss this on d-devel, if some day we have the feature to
> make this change, but it's is not even planned yet.

Maybe someone can come up with code to see how it works.

Questions to be answered:
- Is the setting only a default applied to new projects?
- If yes, how do you inform users that a new project with
  /.gitlab-ci.yml will not work?
- If no, how do you inform users that an existing project with
  /.gitlab-ci.yml will stop working?

> Anyway, I think the best alternative for making this change less
> disruptive is going to be group-level definitions[0] of this kind of
> configurations.

Maybe it would be better to fix stuff to work with /.gitlab-ci.yml than
trying to hack around global settings?  Salsa is not Debian-only, we
already have several upstream stuff on it.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Change is the essential process of all existence.
		-- Spock, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", stardate 5730.2