Re: Please stop hating on sysvinit (was Re: do packages depend on lexical order or {daily,weekly,monthly} cron jobs?)

 ❦  8 août 2019 19:10 +02, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org>:

> For servers, the benefit is rather limited. There is no local user who
> makes system-wide policy decisions, and hardware is not changing
> dynamically either. The actual services provided are either implemented as
> daemons (i.e. not microservices), or proper microservices run inside a
> site-wide microservice framework such as Docker+Kubernetes, because a
> system-local framework such as systemd is too limited to express the
> dependencies. System boot time is significantly less important than service
> response time, so "socket activation" for daemons is not useful in this
> context either. We have had this for -literally- decades in the form of
> inetd, and it has not been widely used, precisely for that reason.

inetd performance is very low because it needs to spawn one instance for
each connection. systemd socket activation has absolutely 0 overhead
except on the first connection (where systemd needs to start the
service).
--
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.
		-- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare