Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> I don't think popcon is a good reason to pause if there are valid
> concerns suggesting removal is a good thing, for the exact reason that
> it's skewed to propagating existing practice. I'm not sure there's any
> really good use for popcon, but I'll continue to believe that any value
> it does have is more related to how many unique configurations it
> reflects rather than how many duplicate instances it can hold.

Seeing that some people out there in the world have installed and are
using a package that I maintain in Debian makes me happy.  I think we
shouldn't underestimate the pure psychological value of that, even if it's
hard to attribute specific meaning to the statistics.

(Thank you, Bill, for maintaining popcon!)