Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 11:33:42 +0000, Bill Allombert
<ballombe@debian.org> wrote:
>Yesterday I received the same popcon ID 2600 times, and 4700 differents ID were received
>two times and 22000 ID were received exactly once.
>
>I understand the need for totally identical systems, but then probably
>it does not make sense for them to report to popcon.

Why? Does a node in a cluster count less than a desktop installation?
If so, why do we not value the input of our biggest users while
putting so much focus on installations in a market segment that we're
losing anyway?

>A related issue is that the submission time is randomized, but if
>2600 systems have identical /etc/cron.d/popularity-contest files, they
>will report at the same time, causing network spikes.

Then the randomization should not be in the configuration file, but
for example hashed from the MAC address.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |