Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID

Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org> writes:

> Each Debian popularity-contest submitter is supposed to have a different
> random 128bit popcon ID.  However, the popularity-constest server
> <https://popcon.debian.org> receives a lot of submissions with identical
> popcon ID, which cause them to be treated as a single submission.

Are you getting lots and lots of submissions with one identical popcon ID,
or lots of cases of 10-20 systems duplicating different popcon IDs?  I
think those lead to different conclusions.

If it's the second, I agree with the suggestion of cloned VMs.  Containers
are making this a bit less common, but building out a system and then
cloning it repeatedly used to be the most common way of scaling a web
service in environments such as AWS.