Re: Generating new IDs for cloning (was Re: duplicate popularity-contest ID)

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> This isn't the first time I've discovered that some aspect of a Debian
> system would actually need to be cleared and re-generated when that
> system is cloned, well after the point where it would have been easy for
> me to address that need. (Fortunately, although I've moved in the
> direction of cloned Debian systems multiple times in the past, so far
> all of those have petered out before reaching production. I still want
> to change that at some point, however.)

I'm only vaguely aware of this package and how it works, but doesn't
cloud-init have some support for customizing things that need to change
when cloning an image?  Does it already handle machine-id?  Maybe we just
need to popularize it and explain better how to add additional hooks for
the needs of other packages?