Re: regarding non-free firmware for wi-fi and ethernet

On 25/07/19 14:00, Abibula Aygun wrote:

> Hello Debian Team,

Hi there :-)

> We have an little problem.
> The installer can't detect many simple wi-fi or ethernet hardware.
> Things that was ok on Stretch version.

Are you able to tell us WHICH wifi / ethernet hardware worked without
non-free drivers in Stretch and now needs drivers from non-free for Buster?

> What can we do to insert the Firmwares on our distribution ?
The same as we do - have a "non-free" area in your archive (but satisfy
yourselves that you are free to distribute)

> You have an unofficial Debian with all non-free firmwares. As far as i
> know is ok to include in AcademiX distro the
> non-free firmwares for wi-fi and ethernet without alterate the licence
> of the manufacturer or the code of the firmware.

> Anyway, the non-free firmwares are used by the installer an not by final
> installed system.
I am somewhat surprised if this is correct...

Regards
/Andy