Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Hello,

On Thu 04 Jul 2019 at 01:21pm +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Please let us know if we have missed one.  It is probably better if
>> you ask us rather than just adding it, unless you're sure that what
>> you are adding isn't the same as one of the existing ones.  In
>> particular it seems that "unapplied" is used by a large number of
>> people with disjoint tooling and disjoint terminology.
>
> I don't recognise the repository structure that was raised by myself and
> some others: A VCS repository that contains only the Debian packaging
> files, which at build time is then exported to a non-VCS working tree
> and moerged with the upstream source.
>
> It may be “bare debian” is meant to cover this; but I don't recognise
> the comment “requires use of quilt and similar tools” because I've never
> needed to use Quilt for this.

Yes, "bare debian" is meant to cover this.  And the new release of dgit
in sid supports this workflow :)  Please consider testing it.

I don't think the comment about quilt is unreasonable, because it seems
like you've just been lucky in not having to use quilt, or similar, yet.
"Never having a Debian delta" would seem to be a property of packages,
not workflows.

--
Sean Whitton