Re: ZFS in Buster

On 2019-06-08 18:11:28 +0800 (+0800), Aron Xu wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:
> > On 8 Jun 2019, at 10:56, Aron Xu <aron@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Even further, it's distributed in the form of dkms source and
> > > theoretically not in Debian (contrib) to save people of
> > > Software Freedom Conservancy from being upset about losing
> > > their position of Linux GPL enforcement.
> >
> > I don’t care much about the rest, I said what I wanted to say,
> > but I strongly disagree with this statement. It’s both untrue
> > and very rude.
> >
> > We (the Debian community) care about the software freedom and
> > associated licensing because we care “the software freedom”, not
> > to please or displease some people that deeply care about the
> > same/similar thing.
>
> There's no point to be rude from me because I was on the table
> when the face to face discussion happened. We care about software
> freedom and we have agreed that we choose to keep SFC's position
> for the good of free software ecology, so in turn we agreed to
> ship ZFS in contrib (which is not an official part of Debian) for
> the best of our users and community.
[...]

Your earlier message also implied the motives behind Conservancy's
recommendations to be something other than a desire to protect
projects relying on free/libre open source software licenses from
making costly mistakes. Suggesting that their interpretation of
these licenses is driven by an ulterior motive strikes me as a gross
mischaracterization, particularly in light of the ways in which they
(individually and collectively) have demonstrated a dedication to
core values of software freedom over the years.

To be clear, I seriously doubt Conservancy (or more precisely, the
fine individuals within Conservancy involved in debating this topic
over the years) would have been "upset" if Debian chose to act
counter to their opinions. I'm quite sure they know that they don't
control the choices of the Debian community, and are therefore not
responsible for any additional risk that Debian knowingly takes on
itself or passes on to its users. If they're going to be upset by
anything, I expect it's projects unknowingly making poor choices
which might otherwise have been avoided if only someone had given
them some guidance. That they are passionate and steadfast in
arguing their points is laudable, and does not itself indicate a
lack of good judgement.

The phrasing in your latest reply continues to paint the decision to
ship ZFS in contrib as a compromise between Debian and Conservancy,
rather than Debian making an informed choice based on advice from
Conservancy (and others). Your apparent disagreement with the result
comes across as though you're implying an adversarial relationship
between Debian and Conservancy which I sincerely hope does not
reflect the feelings of the community as a whole. As Harry Tuttle
once said, "we're all in it together."
--
Jeremy Stanley