Re: ZFS in Buster

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:

> > On 8 Jun 2019, at 10:56, Aron Xu <aron@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Even further, it's distributed in
> > the form of dkms source and theoretically not in Debian (contrib) to
> > save people of Software Freedom Conservancy from being upset about
> > losing their position of Linux GPL enforcement.
>
> I don’t care much about the rest, I said what I wanted to say, but I strongly disagree with this statement. It’s both untrue and very rude.
>
> We (the Debian community) care about the software freedom and associated licensing because we care “the software freedom”, not to please or displease some people that deeply care about the same/similar thing.

There's no point to be rude from me because I was on the table when
the face to face discussion happened. We care about software freedom
and we have agreed that we choose to keep SFC's position for the good
of free software ecology, so in turn we agreed to ship ZFS in contrib
(which is not an official part of Debian) for the best of our users
and community.

"Our priorities are our users and free software", and the current
status quo is what we can do to make sure both our users and free
software are not disregarded from being our priorities. I believe this
is in no way untrue.

Regards,
Aron