Re: ZFS in Buster

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:16 PM Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I understand the woes on all sides, but I believe the correct “Debian" way would be to drop ZoL from Buster release.  Of course we can wait until it breaks after Linux kernel upgrade, but I would say it’s better to prevent the dance around removing the package from the buster and just not release with it.

Perhpas you have misread the thread, or have just partially get the
idea of current situation... Please be a bit more patient.

The situation here is about the kernel unexporting
__kernel_fpu_{begin,end}, which was EXPORT_SYMBOL, that will lead to a
future installation failure of zfs-linux/0.7.12-2 (testing). We
already have minimal patch to disable FPU usage when those symbols are
not available, so be relaxed because we have gatekeeper to make sure
it won't explode in stable.

Key interest in the thread is getting some insights about how to deal
with the awkward situation that affects ZFS experience dramatically -
Linux will remove those symbols in LTS kernel release, although
in-kernel symbols are never promised to be stable. I've been in touch
with ZoL upstream to listen to their plans and wishes, so that we
(Debian ZoL people) can take actions that serve best for our users and
community.

Best,
Aron