Re: [Idea] Debian User Repository? (Not simply mimicing AUR)

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 8:41 PM Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 05:50:37PM -0400, Peter Silva wrote:

>    Hiring debian devs to get the packages into debian proper could make
>    sense. One thing that dampens our enthusiasm for that at the moment is
>    that our packages are still very unstable, in the sense that the we are
>    releasing materially better version incrementally, say once or twice a
>    month.  It is sort of analogous to a rolling release.  That works fine
>    with the launchpad model, but if it gets baked into debian, then we need
>    to support some random old version for many years. Perhaps once it has
>    stabilized, that would be something we could work with, but for now, the
>    [2]launchpad.net model, which supports backporting seamlesslly and allows
>    to support the same version on all distro versions, works better for us.
>    This is something a debian version of launchpad would get us.

You can already accomplish what you are describing today:

- have packages uploaded to experimental
- upload to unstable and file a release critical bug to prevent it
  migrating to testing (look at https://bugs.debian.org/915050 for
  instance)

Both approaches get the package into Debian, available to users of
unstable and/or experimental, as appropriate, and without risk of the
package getting "baked in" to a Debian release for the long term.

OK for unstable and testing, but I want to provide packages for stable versions of Debian using a separate repo that will be get frequent updates, even though the OS is stable. I get that with launchpad.net. Your proposal makes no version ever available for a stable version.  yes, it contradicts the meaning of stable, but the idea is similar to the idea of using snaps, where certain applications require current versions, while most of the OS remains a stable platform.