Re: [Idea] Debian User Repository? (Not simply mimicing AUR)

On Sun, Apr 07, 2019 at 05:50:37PM -0400, Peter Silva wrote:

>    Hiring debian devs to get the packages into debian proper could make
>    sense. One thing that dampens our enthusiasm for that at the moment is
>    that our packages are still very unstable, in the sense that the we are
>    releasing materially better version incrementally, say once or twice a
>    month.  It is sort of analogous to a rolling release.  That works fine
>    with the launchpad model, but if it gets baked into debian, then we need
>    to support some random old version for many years. Perhaps once it has
>    stabilized, that would be something we could work with, but for now, the
>    [2]launchpad.net model, which supports backporting seamlesslly and allows
>    to support the same version on all distro versions, works better for us.
>    This is something a debian version of launchpad would get us.

You can already accomplish what you are describing today:

- have packages uploaded to experimental
- upload to unstable and file a release critical bug to prevent it
  migrating to testing (look at https://bugs.debian.org/915050 for
  instance)

Both approaches get the package into Debian, available to users of
unstable and/or experimental, as appropriate, and without risk of the
package getting "baked in" to a Debian release for the long term.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez