Re: Switch to DEP-14-ish with an existing "debian" branch

Hi,

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 14:07, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:
> So these days I decided that DEP-14[1] actually seems to be a Good
> Thing(tm) and I started thinking about switching my packages' Git
> repositories to this layout.  However, I immediately hit a snag:
> in some of my repositories the upstream branch is named "master" and
> the Debian packaging branch is named "debian".  Due to a (somewhat
> understandable, even though a leaky abstraction) limitation of Git,
> I cannot create a "debian/master" branch if there already is a "debian"
> branch in the repository.
>
> Have others come across this when migrating Debian packaging repos to
> a DEP-14 layout?  How do you deal with this?

Sure, this is because how Git works: branches are represented as files
under .git/refs, so as long as you have a branch called debian, you
cannot create a directory called debian/.

Just rename your branch to anything else than debian, and then rename
it to debian/master.

> I'm thinking of prefixing the new branches with, say, "pkg/", so that
> there would be a DEP-14-ish layout with the upstream branch being
> named "master", the main Debian branch being "pkg/debian/master",
> backports in "pkg/debian/buster", "pkg/debian/stretch", etc, and
> similarly Ubuntu packaging in "pkg/ubuntu/master", "pkg/ubuntu/bionic",
> etc.  Does this sound reasonable, or have other people already done
> something similar and adopted a prefix other than "pkg/"?

I don’t think it’s worth doing, and it would be more confusing than
just using the usual master/upstream or debian/master convention.

--
Cheers,
  Andrej