Re: Switch to DEP-14-ish with an existing "debian" branch

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 02:34:42PM +0100, Andrej Shadura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 14:07, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:
> > So these days I decided that DEP-14[1] actually seems to be a Good
> > Thing(tm) and I started thinking about switching my packages' Git
> > repositories to this layout.  However, I immediately hit a snag:
> > in some of my repositories the upstream branch is named "master" and
> > the Debian packaging branch is named "debian".  Due to a (somewhat
> > understandable, even though a leaky abstraction) limitation of Git,
> > I cannot create a "debian/master" branch if there already is a "debian"
> > branch in the repository.
> >
> > Have others come across this when migrating Debian packaging repos to
> > a DEP-14 layout?  How do you deal with this?
>
> Sure, this is because how Git works: branches are represented as files
> under .git/refs, so as long as you have a branch called debian, you
> cannot create a directory called debian/.
>
> Just rename your branch to anything else than debian, and then rename
> it to debian/master.

Errr...... but I'm not talking about a new repository, I'm talking
about several Debian packages that already have a public repo mentioned
in the Vcs-* headers of uploads to several Debian releases.  I'm not sure
that what you propose would work if I then try to push to an existing
remote repository.

> > I'm thinking of prefixing the new branches with, say, "pkg/", so that
> > there would be a DEP-14-ish layout with the upstream branch being
> > named "master", the main Debian branch being "pkg/debian/master",
> > backports in "pkg/debian/buster", "pkg/debian/stretch", etc, and
> > similarly Ubuntu packaging in "pkg/ubuntu/master", "pkg/ubuntu/bionic",
> > etc.  Does this sound reasonable, or have other people already done
> > something similar and adopted a prefix other than "pkg/"?
>
> I don’t think it’s worth doing, and it would be more confusing than
> just using the usual master/upstream or debian/master convention.

Right, I agree - again, for newly-packaged software.  My question was
about migrating existing Debian packaging to DEP-14... or are you trying
to say that you think that the best way is to set up another public
repository and reupload all of these packages with changed Vcs-* URLs?
I was really, really, *really* hoping to avoid that :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13