Switch to DEP-14-ish with an existing "debian" branch

Hi,

So these days I decided that DEP-14[1] actually seems to be a Good
Thing(tm) and I started thinking about switching my packages' Git
repositories to this layout.  However, I immediately hit a snag:
in some of my repositories the upstream branch is named "master" and
the Debian packaging branch is named "debian".  Due to a (somewhat
understandable, even though a leaky abstraction) limitation of Git,
I cannot create a "debian/master" branch if there already is a "debian"
branch in the repository.

Have others come across this when migrating Debian packaging repos to
a DEP-14 layout?  How do you deal with this?

I'm thinking of prefixing the new branches with, say, "pkg/", so that
there would be a DEP-14-ish layout with the upstream branch being
named "master", the main Debian branch being "pkg/debian/master",
backports in "pkg/debian/buster", "pkg/debian/stretch", etc, and
similarly Ubuntu packaging in "pkg/ubuntu/master", "pkg/ubuntu/bionic",
etc.  Does this sound reasonable, or have other people already done
something similar and adopted a prefix other than "pkg/"?

Thanks to the people who came up with the idea of a harmonized layout of
Debian packaging repositories and then did the work of writing up
the DEP itself!  And, yeah, well, does what I'm trying to do feel like
de-harmonizing the layout by introducing Yet Another Branch Naming
Scheme? :)  If so, sorry! :)

G'luck,
Peter

[1] https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13