Re: Should the weboob package stay in Debian?

* Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> [180724 07:25]:
> He certainly should NOT rename any parts of the package without upstream
> consent. If upstream doesn’t approve (and it seems that these names are part
> of upstream’s working culture), then the other choices are removing to
> package or keeping it as it is.

Or, if the software is useful enough (and there have been several
mentions on this thread that it is useful), fork the project and rename
everything in the fork.  This is, after all, open source, and this is an
excellent example of a reason to avail ourselves of the privileges
afforded by open source software.  Maybe enough people will appreciate
the de-objectification of the fork that the original project will simply
fade into obscurity.

In the open source community, we rightfully have a healthy respect for
the original author's wishes and an aversion to forking a project to
wrest control from the author, but it is, on rare occasions, warranted,
and by giving the software an open source license, the author has
granted permission to do so.

Of course, this requires someone who cares enough about the software and
who disagrees enough with the current names used to be willing to spend
the time and effort to fork it.  I don't use the software, so I have no
desire to create such a fork myself.  I do believe that renaming the
current package to include -offensive is clearly warranted.

...Marvin