Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 01:09:35PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 23:12:19 -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > El viernes, 23 de noviembre de 2018 09:23:29 -03 Dmitry Shachnev escribió:
> > > I have an embedded Intel card right now :)
> >
> > Same here, 10 years old machine with an embedded Intel video card. I don't
> > think I can expect it to work with GLES.
>
> Try it? The mesa-utils-extra package contains es2gears_x11 and
> es2gears_wayland, which appear to be GLES equivalents of glxgears,
> and work fine in a GNOME/Wayland environent on my (admittedly much more
> recent) Intel integrated GPU.

Tested on an early bronze age i386 box with an "82915G/GV/910GL"; both
glxgears and es2gears_x11 work fine.  I don't think anyone is going to run a
modern desktop environment on a machine older than that.

But that's an Intel card -- with nVidia, stuff 3 years old gets dropped from
the official drivers while 2 years old doesn't get Linux support yet -- and
nouveau has problems on its own.

I don't have access to any non-embedded Intel cards so I can't test one in
an arm64 box with a PCIe slot. ;)  But despite apparent insanity of such an
idea, it might be actually the sanest option.

Not a clue about AMD stuff.

Meow!
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
  ./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11