Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
El viernes, 23 de noviembre de 2018 09:23:29 -03 Dmitry Shachnev escribió:
I have an embedded Intel card right now :)

Same here, 10 years old machine with an embedded Intel video card. I don't think I can expect it to work with GLES.
Wikipedia says Intel GPUs support OpenGL ES 2 since gen3 (~2004)[0] or gen4 (~2006)[1] (yes, this is inconsistent), and Nvidia GPUs since NV40 (~2004)[1] (they don't specify whether this is with Nouveau or closed-source Nvidia). They don't obviously say for ATI/AMD, but the Mesa source code says[3] that "all Gallium drivers" (which appear[4][5] to include Intel from i915 = ~2004, Nouveau from nv30 = ~2003 and ATI/AMD from r300 = ~2002) support GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility.

Simon McVittie wrote:
Try it? The mesa-utils-extra package contains es2gears_x11 and
es2gears_wayland, which appear to be GLES equivalents of glxgears,
and work fine in a GNOME/Wayland environent on my (admittedly much more
recent) Intel integrated GPU.

On my system (Intel gen7, stretch kwin-wayland), both correctly display their main animation. es2gears_x11 has a window frame and responds to Esc, but es2gears_wayland doesn't: is that intended, a full-GL window manager not being able to add a frame to a GL ES window, or a bug somewhere else?

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units ; this is based on the Mesa source code [2], though I don't actually know if GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility = "can create a full-GL context that includes the functionality of ES2 as extensions" implies GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile = "can create a true ES2 context".
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES
[2] https://sources.debian.org/src/mesa/18.2.5-3/src/mesa/drivers/dri/i915/intel_extensions.c/#L84 [3] https://sources.debian.org/src/mesa/18.2.5-3/src/mesa/state_tracker/st_extensions.c/#L875
[4] https://sources.debian.org/src/mesa/18.2.5-3/src/gallium/drivers/
[5] https://gallium.readthedocs.io/en/latest/distro.html