Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 03:14:44PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
For these cases though maybe the usrmerge script could ask the admin
on what to do to handle these particular binaries, instead of failing.

Maybe, as I suggested upthread, there could be a preview mode in which the admin could be told what would happen, alerted if the process is going to fail, and given some guidance as to what to do--*before* blindly pulling the trigger. We could even ask people to report on whether the preview mode predicts issues on their systems in order to gather data--which I think is far more likely than people letting us know whether the process broke (past tense) their systems (for the sake of science).