Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Fr, Nov 23, 2018 at 02:04:05 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
If there are actual issues encountered, we can always revert a change

And how do you revert this change? As far as I have understand you can’t remove the usrmerge package and have your system in the old state again.

As others in the thread have mentioned they don’t see the risk with new installations but with old systems with different admins and third-party software.

anyway. During distribution upgrades there is a lot that can be wrong
and a lot of stuff the administrator needs to care about (config file

Right, and it means he has enough to do and doesn’t want to debug the usrmerge. I don’t want to have a usrmerge at a dist-upgrade. You don’t really know the sequence of the package updates. I think the risk is too big to have a partial upgraded system.

with information to the system administrator on what to do in case of
an error, and works for 98% of all users anyway, I see no reason not

If the update of 2% of our systems won’t work because of failing usrmerge I would be asked if Debian is the right distribution.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |