Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

On Fr, Nov 23, 2018 at 03:02:00 +0100, Hans wrote:
Am Freitag, 23. November 2018, 14:47:28 CET schrieb Stephan Seitz:
And how do you revert this change? As far as I have understand you can’t remove the usrmerge package and have your system in the old state again.
Making an image of the whole hard drive is always a good idea.

While this is easy done if the system is a VMware VM I know my fellow admins well enough that they will simply cancel the update because they are not interested in debugging the upgrade process for a single package they don’t need.

So, that is, where "testing" is standing for. Testing before release....

You know I don’t have doubts that you won’t have problems (or very few) if you do a new testing installation. I don’t like Marco’s attitude but he is doing a good job. If he has tested his package as he said this isn’t the problem.

But Debian/testing doesn’t mean testing on real servers which have „survived” different Debian releases, where different admins copied files from one location to another, or with some third-party software.

If the update of 2% of our systems won’t work because of failing usrmerge I would be asked if Debian is the right distribution.
Good point. However, this should be told to Microsoft admins or their
deciders.

;-) But while there are no alternative Windows distributions Debian isn’t the only one and can be changed.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |