Re: usrmerge -- plan B?

Am Freitag, 23. November 2018, 14:47:28 CET schrieb Stephan Seitz:
> On Fr, Nov 23, 2018 at 02:04:05 +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> And how do you revert this change? As far as I have understand you can’t
> remove the usrmerge package and have your system in the old state again.

Making an image of the whole hard drive is always a good idea.

> As others in the thread have mentioned they don’t see the risk with new
> installations but with old systems with different admins and third-party
> software.

Changes are always coming with a risk. However, ones who fear, should try on a
canary. This is, what I would do. Ok, this might be a little more work, but it
is is worth.

> Right, and it means he has enough to do and doesn’t want to debug the
> usrmerge. I don’t want to have a usrmerge at a dist-upgrade. You don’t
> really know the sequence of the package updates. I think the risk is too
> big to have a partial upgraded system.

So, that is, where "testing" is standing for. Testing before release....

> If the update of 2% of our systems won’t work because of failing usrmerge
> I would be asked if Debian is the right distribution.

Good point. However, this should be told to Microsoft admins or their
deciders.

> Shade and sweet water!
>
> 	Stephan

I think, we have now 2-3 moths for testing until freeze begins. Shouldn't this
time not beeing well used, to eliminate all issues?

Best

Hans