Re: Uncoordinated upload of the rustified librsvg

Le mardi 06 novembre 2018 à 11:58:57+0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
> On 11/6/18 11:51 AM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > please get of your high horse.
> >
> > I'm not sure it is said anywhere that one has to care about ports and/or
> > some pet projects.
>
> This isn't about caring about ports, this is about being respectful to
> each other.

I find it quite difficult to support you here seeing the piece of respect
you shown to each other on this thread.

First you complained about the lack of communication to say in
[🔎] 6b4cd362-ae68-aa61-e729-f1b93d1a16a7@physik.fu-berlin.de something like

> Why would I need to communicate that? You, as the maintainer of librsvg
> should know that this package has a large number of reverse dependencies
> and that the rustified version would not work on all architectures. Did
> you seriously expect me to write "Hey, I fixed Rust on the remaining release
> architectures but please don't use this as an excuse to hurt my other work!"?
> I rather think that this should be dictated by common sense and mutual
> respect for the work of fellow Debian members.

Respect and coordination is a two way thing. Expecting the maintainer of a
package to do the whole work on his own is not really what I consider as
common sense. Especially when you know such package was in experimental for
two months.

> > Also, you wrote a mail to d-d-a that rust is now running on 14 archs, so
> > I was utterly surprised about your mail a few hours later blaming
> > someone who uploaded a rust library.
>
> I am blaming them for an *uncoordinated* upload.

As stated before, you didn't seem to consider that poking the maintainers to
ensure coordination was needed. It appears it was. The lack of coordination
is generally the result of two parts failing to acknowledge each other.

> > however, most of us are here to have Debian running
> > nicely on hardware used by the 99%, and if those two objectives are
> > getting in each others way, I'm not sure you have moral or practical
> > grounds to demand that we priotize your 1% needs over those of the 99%.
> Well, if it wasn't for me, we'd probably be shipping the 2.40-version of
> librsrv in Debian Buster and Firefox would be missing on a couple of
> release architectures.. But I guess the phrase "Thank you" doesn't exist
> in Debian anymore.

We're all working on a lot of things without expecting a "thank you" each
and every second. Claiming one just after starting a flamewar doesn't seem
really appropriate.

That said, thank you for your great work.

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2