Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:04:47PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> When I say "the circumstances were different", I mean that at the time,
> it was about paying people to do release management of testing, and that
> it was originally suggested by the DPL. In this case, it is about
> paying people to work on the exact opposite of the release train,

right.

> and it
> has no DPL involvement.

(Chris is involved in LTS, but I get what you meant.)

> I think it would be fine if Debian were to, occasionally, sponsor people
> to work on LTS, provided that it does not become a "LTS is only paid for
> by Debian" situation. Say, we could do a matching drive or something
> along those lines (as in, "Debian will match any sponsorship up to
> XYZ").

I don't think that would be fine...

> Of course you might reasonably disagree with that opinion, but "the
> circumstances are different" is a simple statement of fact ;-)

... and that's what I meant when I said not much has changed: what was
bad about about the idea of Debian paying people I still think is bad
today. And I don't think I'm alone here.

Money is a cause of friction (at best) and as such I firmly believe it's
better we keep money/paying contributors out of Debian *itself*.

--
cheers,
	Holger