Re: Confusing our users - who is supporting LTS?

On Fri, 2018-10-26 at 11:05 -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2018-10-26 10:26:09, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
[...]
> > 3) Stop using LTS as a "label" for oldstable releases?
>
> I am not sure how that would help anything. :) I do like, however, the
> idea brought by Jeremy Stanley in a reply to your email of using the
> "Extended Maintenance" label instead of "Long Term Support" because the
> latter is usually attached to a *current* release, while the former is
> seen as an *extension*.

+1 to this.  Our current use of "LTS" is unusual.

> But renaming the project seems like a huge undertaking and I'm not sure
> it would really resolve this conendrum.
[...]

I don't think we would need to rename everything, at least not at once.
The critical thing to change is that we should change the way we refer
to jessie's status (and future releases when regular security support
for them ends).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption]