Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 12:46:00PM -0400, Jacob Adams wrote:
> > On Oct 27, 2018, at 09:20, Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > It looks to me, that many merge requests are lying around on Salsa, but the
> > responsible package maintainers / teams are not aware of them.
>
> The consensus seems to be that people should enable email notifications in
> salsa and open a bug when filing a merge request.

Except doing that manually just doesn't work:
* new maintainers don't know this bit of tribal knowledge
* it's obscure even for the oldies
* you're 99% likely to forget it when adding a new repo

Case in point: despite me having read the previous thread, and having set my
repos accordingly (I don't even remember how to do that anymore!), there's
a request rotting on a recent package:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boohu
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boohu/merge_requests

I did make an unrelated upload of that package, but of course didn't notice
the request -- you typically don't touch salsa anymore if you use git's
command-line interface, and by default there's no notification whatsoever.
So the fixes sit there, the contributor feels ignored, and improvements grow
conflicts with new upstream code.  Not cool.

So no, neither the maintainer nor the requester remember to do such extra
steps (they're not needed eg. on GitHub).  They must either be done
automatically or the GitLab functionality disabled or at least adorned with
in-your-face warnings.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Have you heard of the Amber Road?  For thousands of years, the
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Romans and co valued amber, hauled through the Europe over the