Re: salsa.debian.org: merge requests and such

> On Oct 28, 2018, at 08:11, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 12:46:00PM -0400, Jacob Adams wrote:
>>> On Oct 27, 2018, at 09:20, Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks to me, that many merge requests are lying around on Salsa, but the
>>> responsible package maintainers / teams are not aware of them.
>>
>> The consensus seems to be that people should enable email notifications in
>> salsa and open a bug when filing a merge request.
>
> Except doing that manually just doesn't work:
> * new maintainers don't know this bit of tribal knowledge
> * it's obscure even for the oldies
> * you're 99% likely to forget it when adding a new repo
>
> Case in point: despite me having read the previous thread, and having set my
> repos accordingly (I don't even remember how to do that anymore!), there's
> a request rotting on a recent package:
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boohu
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/boohu/merge_requests
>
> I did make an unrelated upload of that package, but of course didn't notice
> the request -- you typically don't touch salsa anymore if you use git's
> command-line interface, and by default there's no notification whatsoever.
> So the fixes sit there, the contributor feels ignored, and improvements grow
> conflicts with new upstream code.  Not cool.
>
> So no, neither the maintainer nor the requester remember to do such extra
> steps (they're not needed eg. on GitHub).  They must either be done
> automatically or the GitLab functionality disabled or at least adorned with
> in-your-face warnings.

I completely agree with you. The above is simply the best solution currently.
To quote from my last message in the previous thread:
“My concern is that newcomers will have their merge requests ignored when maintainers are not emailed. I see no workable solution as yet, so I’ll have to look more into this and come back to this thread when I find one.”

I haven’t yet