Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

Quoting Jonathan Dowland (2018-09-11 15:27:00)
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 11:36:01PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> >There were no users of the ax25's node binary (and almost no users
> >for the package, as demonstrated later). The inconvenience was
> >shifted entirely on the users of the nodejs package. Our motto is to
> >care about our users, not to inconvenience them for the sake of
> >non-existing users.
>
> How popular is the nodejs binary amongst node(.js) users? The advice I
> see from the Node community (and the Rust community and the Go
> community and…) is to completely ignore the distro packaging and use
> upstream directly.

I don't have numbers, but noticed that it was popular enough for guides
to emerge instructing to install the nodejs.legacy package - which was
needed _only_ when users need /usr/bin/node (until later simplified).

 - Jonas