Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]"):
> The current policy means that the discussion about which package should
> use the name begins on neutral ground, without prejudice against the
> less popular package.  By requiring that they both change their names if
> agreement cannot be reached, the maintainers put on equal footing.

In addition to what Sean wrote:

The current policy means that if for some reason one wants to install
and use both programs in the same system, that is possible.  (Of course
this will be relevant if anyone ever wants to do something that
involves _both_ programs, and nowadays it is hard to rule out in
advance any interesting combinations.)

It also provides a (fairly weak, but nonneglible) incentive for
program authors not to engage in namespace landgrabs.

Ian.