Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On Sep 08, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:

> The current policy protects maintainers and users of less popular
> packages from feeling that their package is less important in Debian,
> just because something else that is more popular comes along and happens
> to use the same name.
Yes, and the I do not think that this is a good idea as we have seen
with the nodejs fiasco.
It is a fact of life that some packages are more popular ("important")
than others, and pretending that this is not true does not change it.

The current policy maximizes discomfort for all parts involved in the
name of creating equality where it does not actually exist, and this
does not help anybody.

--
ciao,
Marco