Re: Updating the policy for conflicting binaries names ? [was: Re: Re: New package netgen-lvs with binary /usr/bin/netgen - already taken]

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 05:11:23PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
I kind of like the solution of putting the binaries in a different
directory.  This is also a little irritating, since users have to add an
additional directory to their PATH, but they only have to do that once and
it works consistently going forward, and they can still use the other
program.

It's not totally unheard of to have to modify PATH to use a package,
particularly one that wants to use a bunch of very generic command names.
That was always the official way to use MH, for example.

Yes. Is "environment-modules" well-known these days? I'm surprised not
to see it mentioned more often.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland