Re: Specs? Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> On 08/20/2018 11:40 AM, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Bastian Blank:

> >> Has the Salsa team redacted specs prior to implementing the current
> >> cloud storage solution? If yes, where can these specs be found?
> >> If you haven't redacted such specs, would you be willing to provide
> >> those somewhere, even in a keywordish manner? Otherwise, is there any
> >> technical documentation (or as a fallback: code & manifests) about this
> >> implementation publicly accessible?
> >>
> >> Having such documents might help avoid running in the wrong direction
> >> and would also allow to gather more overall insight.
> > No, but gitlab is open source, you should find all the specs you need in the
> > docs.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Alex,
>
> We do run a Gitlab instance at $work, so I may be able to try on a local
> setup before affecting all of Debian. However, I'd appreciate a bit of
> pointers. I've asked numerous questions, and so far got zero answer.
>
> Since you've configured it, you probably know where its done. Having a
> quick look at the documentation over here:
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/administration/
>
> I haven't find in the TOC something that looks relevant.
>
> The only info I have from you is:
>
> > We will also start moving some of the large data stores with public
> > accessible files off to Google Cloud storage.  Using an external
> > storage allows us to store a much larger amount of data in our GitLab
> > instance. All access to it will be proxied, without providing user
> > identifying data to the storage provider.
>
> Could you please at least define what is "some of the large data stores"
> and explain where it is configured in Gitlab? A possible pointer to the
> Gitlab documentation would probably help as well.
I find it very frustrating that you expect us to tell you where the docs are.
However:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/repository_storage_paths.html
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/lfs/lfs_administration.html#storing-lfs-objects-in-remote-object-storage
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/omnibus-gitlab/blob/master/files/gitlab-config-template/gitlab.rb.template#L176