Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

Hi!

Jonas Meurer:
> Am 13.08.2018 um 20:36 schrieb Alexander Wirt:
>>> Hrmpf! I have to say that I was somewhat surprised by this announcement.
>>> To be honest, I don't like the idea of making our infrastructure as a
>>> project rely on closed and proprietary systems like Google Cloud. Isn't
>>> it important to us as a project anymore to run our infrastructure on
>>> free software and under our own control? [1]
>>> We don't rely on it. There will be a backup on debian infastructure so
> that
>> we will be able to change to different providers at every time.
>
> That's good to know!

> Your explanation definitely helps with understanding the rationale
> behind your decision to switch to Google Cloud for some storage. And if
> Salsa indeed has I/O problems already, it's much appreciated that you do
> something about it. Again, thanks for this.

Ack.

> I just wonder why we don't consider and prefer free solution (either by
> running an own external storage or by using free software cloud
> providers) over the proprietary ones. In my eyes, this conflicts with
> our social contract and with prioritizing Free Software. That's, why I
> brought it up here.
>
> What do others think about it?

Thanks for bringing it up, Jonas! I absolutely agree with your reasoning
and I also think that it conflicts with Debian's Social Contract; hence
I'd like to see this discussed before silently implementing such a thing.

While I understand the simplicity of using $company's cloud storage, I'd
rather not rely on some external company and in particular not on this
one. This company does not exactly represent what I would call ethical,
non-proprietary, and decentralized.

Are there no partners that would kindly provide such storage to Debian
(Gandi?). Sometimes this may take more time, and be harder to implement.
It might be more expensive, and that's exactly the point: whenever
something is free, you've become the product.

Cheers,
Ulrike