Re: salsa.debian.org maintenance (GitLab 11.1.4 upgrade, external storage migration)

Hello,

Am 13.08.2018 um 20:36 schrieb Alexander Wirt:
>> Hrmpf! I have to say that I was somewhat surprised by this announcement.
>> To be honest, I don't like the idea of making our infrastructure as a
>> project rely on closed and proprietary systems like Google Cloud. Isn't
>> it important to us as a project anymore to run our infrastructure on
>> free software and under our own control? [1]
>> We don't rely on it. There will be a backup on debian infastructure so
that
> we will be able to change to different providers at every time.

That's good to know!

> Additionally its only subsidiary data. Git is and will be only on debian
> infrastructure. If you don't use lfs or ci, you are safe (whatever safe
> means).
>
> But using gce allows us to to support use cases different use case than just
> git (like lfs, build artificats, build logs and so on) without consuming IO
> on debian infrastructure (we are already seeing IO problems on high traffic).
>
> Hope that helps

Your explanation definitely helps with understanding the rationale
behind your decision to switch to Google Cloud for some storage. And if
Salsa indeed has I/O problems already, it's much appreciated that you do
something about it. Again, thanks for this.

I just wonder why we don't consider and prefer free solution (either by
running an own external storage or by using free software cloud
providers) over the proprietary ones. In my eyes, this conflicts with
our social contract and with prioritizing Free Software. That's, why I
brought it up here.

What do others think about it?

Cheers
 jonas