Re: RFR: email about regressions [was: Dealing with ci.d.n for package regressions]

Hi Ian, all,

On 08-05-18 14:31, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Paul Gevers writes ("RFR: email about regressions [was: Dealing with ci.d.n for package regressions]"):
>> maintainers of the involved packages as one party has insight in what
>> changed and the other party insight in what is being tested.
>
> So I would insert here, before a paragraph break:
>
>   Please therefore get in touch with each other with your ideas about
>   what the causes of the problem might be, proposed patches, etc.

I have also added:
Triaging tips are being collected on the Debian Wiki [4].

with [4] being:
https://wiki.debian.org/ContinuousIntegration/TriagingTips

Everybody, please see this as an invitation to share strategies that
work, I have added some of mine, organizing the page is WIP.

> I think you need more information about process and authority, and
> what to do if the maintainers disagree, or if one or the other does
> not respond.  We don't have a good formal mechanism for resolving
> disagreements, and our NMU rules are restrictive and opaque, so this
> is not so easy.
>
> How about:
>
>   It can be appropriate to file an RC bug against the depended-on
>   package, if the regression amounts to an RC bug in the depending
>   package, and to keep it open while the matter is investigated.  That
>   will prevent migration of an RC regression.
>
>   If the maintainers of the depending package don't have available
>   effort to fix a problem, it is appropriate for the maintainers of
>   the depended-on package to consider an NMU of the depending
>   package.  Any such an NMU should take place in accordance with the
>   normal NMU rules.
>
>   Neither of the above steps should be seen as hostile; they are part
>   of trying to work together to keep Debian in tip-top shape.
>
>   If you find that you are not able to agree between you about the
>   right next steps, bug severities, etc., please try to find a neutral
>   third party to help you mediate and/or provide a third opinion.
>   Failing that your best bet is probably to post to debian-devel.

Sounds great. Will do.

Paul