Re: ISO download difficult

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm certainly not arguing for removing this as an option.  I am arguing
>> for challenging ourselves to do better than that for as many cases as
>> we can, because that's not a fun experience.  Even those of us who
>> thoroughly understand Debian deserve to have fun and relatively
>> pain-free experiences installing our operating system!

> Hmm, I thought you were arguing for the manual option to continue to be
> the main way we suggest people install Debian, rather than the OS app
> style option. Seems I was wrong and now my guess is that in addition to
> keeping the manual option available, you think we should improve our
> download web page re firmware, while leaving the rest of the parts of
> the install process as manual as before and keep win32-loader as an
> obscure option most folks haven't heard of?

I have no opinion about win32-loader since I've never used it and would
never use it (I don't even have any family members who would use it or be
able to use it), so I'm really unqualified to comment.  What you describe
sounds great for people starting from a Windows system.  That's just not a
problem I've had in about 20 years.

I don't want work on win32-loader to *replace* making download of a
working network install USB image easier, since that's the change that
would help me and those I know the most.  I'm very happy if we can do
both!