Re: ISO download difficult

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 04:50:59PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 03:57:11PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>
> > I vote for:
> >   1- putting the non-free firmware on all our images,
> >   2- let the installer check whether they are needed,
> >   3- if yes, let the user decide:
>
> I agree with this. While I also believe non-free firmware should not be
> encouraged, our current behaviour of making non-free installers
> available but difficult to find is just annoying users.

What about offering them side to side?  It looks like a non-negligible part
of posters in this thread want the purely free version -- and, indeed they
represent the Social Contract and the original purpose of Debian and Free
Software in general.

I'd also put a _succint_ description of what's wrong with them.  Written in
a way that avoids philosophical distinctions which are opaque to those who
don't already know about the matter -- but emotional imprecise words are
okay.

> If the user's system works fine without the non-free firmware, was any
> harm done by having it part of the installer? Especially if nothing of
> it was installed?

To a fully rational person who wants a purely free system -- no harm, as
the increased download size is such a small portion that shaving it is not
worth the extra user confusion.  But, offering only a non-free version would
be a big step in a direction many of us do not want.  And, there's hope that
in ten years x86 might lose its dominance, in which case we'd rue falling
into this slippery slope.

Thus: I'd say we should prominently offer two downloads, one with a
paragraph of insults.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ 14:13 < icenowy[m]> are they hot enough? ;-)
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 14:17 < icenowy[m]> I think now in Europe it should be winter? Let