Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 05:31:09PM +0100, Alf Gaida wrote:

> Ian, thats dead easy - put the needed packages onto the iso and be done
> with. The installer should have an option to opt-in contrib and/or
> non-free. Done. Ok, that was the technical part.

Which has the potential to make the installer non-distributable or not
freely redistributable the same way as free packages.  Even if the
Debian project obtained the necessary permission/license to
redistributed, it would certainly have restrictions and I suspect it
would not likely be something that would autoatically transfer to other
entities (think users copying/sharing installers or derivative
distributions).

The situation is more complex than your characterization.

Regards,

-Roberto