Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Fri, 2017-12-01 at 12:16 -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 05:31:09PM +0100, Alf Gaida wrote:
> > >

> > Ian, thats dead easy - put the needed packages onto the iso and be done
> > with. The installer should have an option to opt-in contrib and/or
> > non-free. Done. Ok, that was the technical part.
>
> Which has the potential to make the installer non-distributable or not
> freely redistributable the same way as free packages.  Even if the
> Debian project obtained the necessary permission/license to
> redistributed, it would certainly have restrictions and I suspect it
> would not likely be something that would autoatically transfer to other
> entities (think users copying/sharing installers or derivative
> distributions).
>
> The situation is more complex than your characterization.

FWIW, almost all the non-free firmware packaged in Debian is freely
redistributable.  The only exceptions I know are in the firmware-
ipw2x00 and firmware-ivtv packages, which have 'clickwrap' EULAs.

firmware-ivtv will never be needed at installation time, and firmware-
ipw2x00 is for wifi chips that haven't been sold for around 10 years,
so I think it would be reasonable to leave it out.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
When in doubt, use brute force. - Ken Thompson