Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

Alf Gaida writes ("Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)"):
> On 01.12.2017 16:53, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > FAOD I agree that the current situation with install images for random
> > PCs is quite unsatisfactory, but I don't know how to square the circle.
>
> Ian, thats dead easy - put the needed packages onto the iso and be done
> with.

The problem is not technical, it is political/ethical/whatever.

And, contrary to the suggestions in your mail, the reason we don't
just do as you say is not because the FSF wouldn't like it.  It's
because the Debian Project itself is very uncomfortable with non-free
firmware.

OTOH, it might be worth revisiting this issue in a GR.

Ian.