Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 01:35:50AM +0100, Philip Rinn wrote:
>> Is it true (and intended) that -guest users can't create projects
>> within teams/groups they are member of? Or am I missing something? [I
>> was not able to create a project within the Debian Science Team]
>
> As Anton noted, you need to be a "master" in that group.  The difference
> between "master" and "developer" in groups is only that masters can
> create projects.

There is another important difference: masters can add new team
members. Which means that we actually loose any control on the team
members if we grant "master" to all. For collab-maint, since all DDs are
masters there, anyone can actually decide to grant "master" to any
non-DD on the base of *personal* trust (right?).

> So yes, you need to get a DD to do the one-off work of creating a
> "collab-maint" project and grant you "master" powers in that projects
> (so that you can add future members yourself).  Now, is that really so
> burdersome?

For collab-maint, I think this is a problem: we actually want to get
people into collab-maint, and so the threshold to do so should be as low
as possible. If, as a non-DD, I first have to request the repository
creation from someone else, I even may decide to create the repository
in my personal space instead. From my pre-DD experiences I remember,
that it is quite boring to need to wait for others on every step, and I
personally would just skip those steps which are not needed to complete
my package.

For specialized teams (f.e. Debian Astro, and maybe Debian Science), I
however don't think this is a problem: There is usually someone who
anyway observes the ITPs for packages that may fit (f.e. I do that for
Astro; Andreas is known to answer on potential Science packages). Then
one could also just offer to create the repository.

Best regards

Ole