Re: Alioth: the future of mailing lists

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 09:35:03 +0000, Holger Levsen
<holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 09:43:46AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> How high are the requirements (CPU-, Memory) wise? I guess that one of
>> those 5 Euros a month VPSses with 50 Gig Disk and 8 GB RAM would not
>> be enough?
>[...]
>> I don't see running the Mailing list server the biggest challenge.
>> Providing an acceptable spam filter is.
>
>the other big challenge is to provide something that lasts "forever". I trust
>DSA with that, I'm not so sure I want to trust "random people" using some
>cheap VPSes for that…

Agreed. However, there is a good chance that lists.alioth.debian.org
will be replaced by a gazillion of lists.randomdd.example instances,
none of them lasting "forever", only wasting valuable resources that
could better be spent with package maintainence and enhancing Debian's
excellence.

Not doing something "central" just because it won't be perfect, or not
supported by DSA, will not prevent things from happening, it will just
force them to happen in a distributed, uncoordinated way, wasting way
more resources for something technically inferior in many different
ways.

Greetings
Marc