Re: apt-get dist-upgrade uninstalled most of KDE

On 17/08/17 09:29, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:56:07PM -0700, nobrin@gmail.com wrote:
(Is there any way to undo the last apt-get? Unfortunately, I don't
have all the removed packages still in /var/cache/apt/archives)
Download them from testing, e.g. by adding testing to sources.list.

Or add a snapshot repo from <http://snapshot.debian.org/> a few days in the past, for example <http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20170815T032716Z/>, and then downgrade with "apt-get install packagename=version". Sadly this does not seem to resolve dependencies, and you may also need many dependency=version arguments. Many many. You could construct this from your log using regular expressions.

I always run "apt-get dist-upgrade -V -s" before dist-upgrade. This morning I neglected to notice that dist-upgrade was removing qpdfview and its dependencies, so I feel your pain. Fortunately I use XFCE so the damage was limited. sid is for people who pay attention.

One thing I miss from Fedora is yum history, which allows any update transaction to be rolled back. I found the Debian process to be tedious and error-prone. I would be delighted if anyone has a better suggestion.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director