Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 06:47:18PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 12.07.2017 um 17:35 schrieb Marc Haber:
> > My finger memory will still type tcpdump -i eth0 before the brain can
> > intervene ten years from now.
>
> thankfully tcpdump (and lots of other tools) have nice shell completion.
> tcpdump -i <TAB> works great her.

Alas, having "bash-completion" installed, while adding some
context-sensitive completion, also breaks filename completion.  In the vast
majority of uses, option names consist of a few characters, while filenames
(with paths) are half of a line or longer.  The choice is obvious to me...

Even worse, filename completion is broken only for commands that have
custom handling in bash-completion, making the Tab key unpredictable.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.